Located at the corner of Hopkins and Pearl Streets, this building was known as the Pearl Street Neighborhood House in the early part of the 20th century. It served as a settlement house for Waterbury’s African American community, particularly migrants arriving from the South after the First World War. It continued to be a settlement house and community center from the 1920s into the 1980s and is now used for cultural events in conjunction with its owner, the Zion Baptist Church. The Waterbury chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) was founded in this building in 1942 and it was once the home of the city’s Urban League.
Click here to copy address to clipboard Address copied to clipboard