When the Reverend Noah Porter, minister of First Church in Farmington for sixty years, 1806-1866, married Mehitable Meigs in 1808, he built a brick house on Main Street. The children he and is wife “Hetty” would raise in the house included Dr. Noah Porter, Jr., a philosophical writer and president of Yale, and Sarah Porter, who founded Miss Porter’s School. In 1810, the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, the oldest society for foreign missions in the United States, was established in a meeting at the Porter House. The first missionaries would be sent overseas in 1812. In 1841, Margru, one of the three girls who survived from the Amistad, lived in the Porter House for eight months. Sarah Porter continued to live in the house after her father’s death in 1866, adding the third floor in the 1880s.The above picture was added on March 19, 2013.
Click here to copy address to clipboard Address copied to clipboard