Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

Timeline

Year associated site event location people
1639 Center Church on the Green Founded in 1639, the church had a congregation that was involved in developing support for the Amistad captives. Beneath the present 1812-1814 building is a cemetery dating back to colonial times. The property is included in the New Haven Green National Historic Landmark District and the crypt is open to the public. 250 Temple St, New Haven, CT 06511 Amistad Captives
1678 Joshua Hempstead House
1700 Washband (Washband) Tavern The Washband Tavern was built in the early 1700s and is said to have been a site on the Underground Railroad. The building operated as a tavern for four generations. Hiding places are said to exist in the cellar. This property is privately owned and not open to the public. 90 Oxford Rd Oxford, CT 06478
1725 Green Farms Burying Ground Established about 1725, the Colonial Greens Farms Burying Ground is notable for the quantity and quality of its carvings.Lyzette Hyde Munroe, wife of African American property owner Henry Munroe is buried in this colonial cemetery. Her stone reads “In memory of Lyzette, wife of Henry Munroe, who died August 21, 1836 aged 58 Years, 5 months and 8 days.” African American Dorcas Hyde is also buried here and is believed to have been enslaved by the Hyde family. Both graves are located in the far southwest corner, formerly the black section of the cemetery. People’s State Forest, 106 East River Road, Barkhamsted, CT 06063 Mary (AKA Molly) Barber , James Chaugham
1740 Lighthouse Archaeological Site Community founded by Molly Barber and Native American husband James Chaugham. Thriving village for 120 years, formed because of family disapproval of intermarrying.
1749 Flora Hercules Gravesite Offering evidence of the existence of Black Governors in Connecticut during the 18th century, the headstone of Flora Hercules notes that Flora Hercules was the wife of Hercules, “Governor of the Negroes.” Flora died April 1749 at the age of 60. Antientist Burial Ground, Near Hempstead and Granite Streets , New London, CT 06320 Flora Hercules
1752 Isaiah Tuttle House Major Isaiah Tuttle (1752-1831) was an important early settler of the northeast corner of Torrington. This home, built in 1803, operated as a tavern for many years and may have served as an Underground Railroad station. Isaiah Tuttle’s eldest son Uriel (1779-1849) was for many years president of the Litchfield County Anti-Slavery Society and, at the time of his death, president of the Connecticut Anti-Slavery Society. Although the history is not as well documented as that of Uriel’s home at 3925 Torringford Street, this association lends to the likelihood that the Isaiah Tuttle house was also involved in the Underground Railroad. The home is privately owned and not open to the public. 75 Main Street, Farmington, CT 06032 Mende Africans, Noah Porter, Rev. James W.C. Pennington
1771 First Church of Christ, Congregational Farmington abolitionists were members of this congregation whose minister, Reverend Noah Porter, supported the abolitionist cause. Occasionally, he exchanged pulpits with Reverend James W. C. Pennington, a former slave who became minister of the Talcott Street Congregational Church in Hartford (now Faith Congregational Church). On their arrival in Farmington, the newly freed Mende Africans of the Amistad Case were welcomed into the church. The First Church supported the Amistad Case through its members, who provided clothing, housing, education and Christian teaching to the Mende Africans while they lived in Farmington awaiting funds to return to Africa. They worshiped here and just before their return to Africa, their leader, Cinque, gave a farewell speech at the church in his native language. The church is a National Historic Landmark. 75 Main Street, Farmington, CT 06032 Mende Africans, Noah Porter, Rev. James W.C. Pennington
1771 Unitarian Meeting House
1772
1776
1780
1781