Located in Greenwich’s Fourth Ward neighborhood, the First Baptist Church is the second of two African American churches established in Greenwich during the 19th century. The Fourth Ward is one of four neighborhoods in central Greenwich that have included African Americans for at least 100 years. Most were migrants from Virginia who had been recruited as domestics by wealthy summer residents from New York City. On May 30, 1897, the first prayer meeting and organization of the First Baptist Mission in Greenwich was held in a private home on Lake Avenue and later in a hall over a blacksmith shop on Lewis Street. In 1906, the “Mission” was fully recognized by the Connecticut Baptist Missionary Union and became known as the First Baptist Church of Greenwich. On January 9, 1909, the 10 Northfield Street structure was purchased for $550.00. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a part of the Fourth Ward National Register Historic District.
Click here to copy address to clipboard Address copied to clipboard