Walters African American Episcopal Zion Church has been located at this site since 1882. When its original structure was destroyed by fire in 1951, the current building was erected on the surviving foundation. The church is one of few remaining reminders of an earlier African American community known as “Little Liberia.” Made up of free blacks, migrants from the South, former slaves and their descendants, this community supported two churches, a school, a hotel, and a number of individual homes. The Mary and Eliza Freeman houses nearby on Main Street are the only two remaining homes.
Click here to copy address to clipboard Address copied to clipboard